Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Prayer Part 1

The first topic I would like to pursue with everyone is prayer.

What is prayer? What is your definition of prayer?

The bible dictionary says this about prayer:

As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7:7–11). Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings.

A couple of additional questions I invite everyone to contribute answers and perspective to:

How has prayer helped you to overcome challenges you face?
How has prayer helped you approach your day in a different way?
What are some ideas you use to help focus your prayers?

I would love to get your perspectives and experiences, and then compile then in a family "book of remembrance" of some type. More to come on prayer in the coming days. Looking forward to your comments!

3 comments:

  1. Prayer is something I have thought about a lot in the last few months. I taught a lesson in Beehives about repentance. The lessons talked about the need we have to repent EVERY day. So I challenged the girls (and myself) to repent every day in their evening prayers. This has really made me consider the things I do every day and how I need to improve. This has also helped me in using prayer to overcome challenges. I feel like when I am repenting every day, I am more focused on how the Lord is helping me with my challenges and also blessing my life when I am improving and relying on Him more.
    Dave and I had a really great experience this past Sunday when we combined fasting with our prayers. This really helped me focus my prayers that day and I feel like we were very blessed because of it. I just read in the New Testament about an instance in which the Apostles could not heal a man. Christ told them that they needed to go about fasting and praying. Fasting is something I also need to consider doing on days other than fast Sunday!
    I love to think of prayer as a way to develop our relationship between us and our Father. It makes prayer much more meaningful and personal. Of course my prayers are not always what they should be, but I have had many great experiences because of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have listed two great ways to help focus our prayers: to ponder our actions of the day in order to see if there is a need for repentance (and it will be very rare indeed when there is no need for repentance!), and to fast with a purpose. Thanks for sharing these experiences.
      I feel that when our prayers are focused, and only then, can we begin to experience the "vision" promised in Ether 12:27.

      And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

      The gift to see ourselves as our Father in Heaven sees us enables our change. The move from weakness to strength does not happen without additional effort on our part. After we see ourselves in a true and eternal light it is finally possible for us to address those traits and habits that separate us from our Father in Heaven and His Son.

      Delete
  2. Last year was a huge "prayer" year for me and I learned so much. I love what Sarah said about adding fasting to our prayers. For me, that made all the difference. I was looking for specific guidance and knew the answers could only come from heaven. I kept going over the scriptures that teach us that Heavenly Father is interested in all aspects of our life and it is right for us to ask for the blessings we feel we need and want. So, I had to consider a few things. I had to focus on specifics, and then evaluate my motives behind what I was praying for. Then as Dad and Sarah mentioned I needed to look at my life and see where I could improve, to show Heavenly Father I was sincere and committed to my prayers. Then I studied like crazy. As I studied I could better feel the Spirit. The more I felt the Spirit the better prepared I was to pray. I started to feel I was learning what to literally say in my prayers. Many times the words were given to me and many times I felt "you need to start fasting right now". This gave life and strength to my prayers and I felt Heavenly Father and I were a team. I started to learn how to listen for answers and know with a surety what the Spirit was teaching me. So, with where I am right now the key has been commitment, obedience, repentance and study. It has been such a cool experience.

    ReplyDelete